Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Royal Adding Machine

Do you ever feel like you are glued to one of these things? I sometimes would like to go bury this thing in the backyard. Like, SERIOUSLY! But I can't because...... This adding machine is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 years old. In another 75 years it will be a genuine antique. This machine could actually be older than 25 years but I'm not sure. You know, it might be time to go out and get a new, less faded and yellowed, sleaker, and just general better looking adding machine but I'm not going to. You know why? This machine was my dad's first secretary's adding machine. Molly was this cheery lady with a British accent that my dad hired when he first started his business. My sister and I just loved being around Molly and listening to her talk about what it was like to live in the underground tube system in London during WWII. Quite an interesting lady. She married a GI and moved to America after the War. So, this adding machine has history. It's nostolgic. It was going to be thrown away and I rescued it. So, I'd better not bury it because I'd just have to go dig it up.

No comments: