Hey guys. Saw this on my friend Beth's blog (you can check her out over there to the left under Girlfriends) and thought I'd post it here (also thought I might just put it on my frig too with my 500 pictures of all my crazy, I mean completely normal family).
It is easier to build a child than to repair an adult.
Help me praise more than criticize, encourage more than nag, discipline first, not rush to punish, and model good behavior rather than simply demand it.
Help me break the habit of automatically saying “No”, when I could just as easily say “Yes,” and to remember a hug given before it’s asked for is ten times more valuable!
Help me ask myself, “Will this matter in 20 years?” Then enable me to let go of those things that won’t, so I can have the energy for those that will.
Help me earn their respect as I lead a life consistent with the principles I value.
Lord, give me the courage to teach them right from wrong and help them discover their own special destinies.
Help me to freely join in their silliness, share in their laughter, delight in their joys and keep their confidences.
Remind me daily to draw upon your strength to heal their wounds and comfort their sorrows. Most of all, Lord, help me really listen for the hidden thoughts and needs that often lie behind their requests and give me the key to their heart that it may be opened wide to all life’s wonders and possibilities.
GREAT QUOTE!
And on a dental hygine note: Jack, Luke and I went for our 6 month cleaning today as a little happy family. Luke had his own dentist for a while but had a run in trying to take Jackson to the dentist for the first time, so I convinced him to try my dentist for Jack's 1st cleaning. Luke's dentist is good and the office is nice (except for the run in we had with them over cleaning Jack's teeth) but my dentist is AWESOME and going into his office is like entering a POSH SKI LODGE somewhere in Colorado that could also double as a SPA. You guys think I'm kidding but this place is nice. The walls look like a log cabin, complete with a fireplace, water fountains - it's just real cool. I mean, they'll bring you a nice furry blanket to put over your legs while you watch HGTV and read from a selection of 500 magazines. I feel like I'm more on a retreat than a dental visit. Luke likes to rough it more (this includes his dental visits) and he didn't want to drive to my dentist. Well, we leave today and he says, "Man, that place was nice and they all just loved Jackson." I told him - (he he) - "I TOLD YOU SO!" Jackson just let that lady clean his teeth like a pro. He sat in that chair like he was 20 years old and she cleaned, flossed and put flouride on his teeth. I was so proud. The dentist comes in to check his teeth after she was done and he asks him who helps him brush his teeth at night, you or mama. I say his daddy mostly cleans his teeth and jack pipes up and says "my daddy really loves me". I thought luke would cry right there in the middle of the dentist office. Boy, when he gets married Luke and I are really going to have a hard time - especially if we get choked up in the dentist's office. We're in trouble. We will probably make Luke's mama (who sobbed during our whole wedding and got Luke to crying) look like a cake walk.
Not really sure what we did to deserve to raise Jackson but it must have been something pretty wonderful. But then again, I'm his mama and I'm suppose to feel this way!
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment